Hello beautiful people!
Currently it’s nice and warm where I am and there is a bit of rain falling outside. I have all the windows open so I can hear it, and also hear the birds chirping. I’m happily working away – writing this post – with a solid list of things that need to be done afterwards. I feel energized and organized and on track and it’s been this way for a bit. In fact, I’ve been having many more “holy crap I got EVERYTHING done today” days, as opposed to the whiny “where did the time go” days.
I also recently started a new morning routine.
Coincidence? Humphhh. I think not.
Like most entrepreneurs, I seem to be a sponge when it comes to trying to soak up information from other entrepreneurs, especially if they are successful. I also happen to think that mornings are an especially critical time for us as our thoughts, actions and direction in the morning could easily shape the energy for the rest of the day. So a few weeks ago I did a little poking around online to see how other people were spending their mornings. Learn, learn, learn, copy.
My former morning routine went like this:
- Wake up, time depending on work-at-home day or on-the-road day.
- If in the mood, journal.
- Stress about stuff in my head.
- Maybe yoga.
- Maybe eat breakfast.
- Drink tea. (This one I was really good at).
- Once on the computer become so consumed in emails and work, I forget…or neglect…to plan anything properly. Proceed to fly by the seat of my pants for the rest of the day.
- Stress about what needs to be done.
Look, I have a plan. Always have. I can write a big master plan until the cows come home, but if I neglect to break it down into daily steps ON PAPER (or WHITEBOARD) it is still all tangled up in my head. My last morning routine lacked structure, self care, goal setting and organization. Not to say that stuff didn’t get done…but my day wasn’t set up as well as it could have been.
So when scheduling my new routine, I scheduled time to chill…get into my zone and create awesome energy. As well as objectives to meet the targets my “plan” has set out for me.
So my new routine goes like this:
- Wake up 30 minutes earlier.
- Meditate 30-45 minutes.
- Grab lemon water, start drinkin.
- Journal, freely for 15 minutes. DO NOT TOUCH PHONE OR COMPUTER. This is important, because my brain needs to unleash in the morning without the help of social or mainstream media. Be pure, Brain…be pure. I find this is a great time to establish my next few steps depending on what my brain is up to. I may write about something that’s bothering me, a question I need to answer or just how happy I am to have had a dream about Bon Jovi again. I just write.
- Review goals cards. (I have goals on index cards that I write at the beginning of the year).
- Set Most Important To-Do’s for the day. Write them down. If the day is super heavy, I schedule blocks of time to get stuff done with padded time at the end for any loose ends.
- Watch a super inspiring YouTube video. These tend to rock me. Share on social media if I feel moved to.
- Get moving.
I’m telling you, not only do I feel more relaxed and focused, I AM more relaxed and focused. It’s also a little piece of sacred time, that’s mine. Allll mine. I’m sure I will tweak these things as time goes on, but for now, this is really working.
Woke up today to start my own routine… 1L water, 15 minute run, 2 page mind dump, 20 minutes internet free computer time, breakfast, shower.
1. Wake up and brush teeth, boil water, and set up his thermos and tea. 2. Immediately write, without eating or using the Internet
And if you’re still curious about other people’s routines (as I am), check out this awesome post by Maneesh Sethi about his morning routine…and everyone else’s in the comments!
Inquiring minds want to know…what’s YOUR morning routine for success? Leave a comment!