Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!
I’ve had a beautiful weekend with my closest friends and family and had some time to reflect on the blessings in my life.
It was also my 31st birthday, and Tug had a surprise birthday dinner planned for me at Mexicanada. We had a blast and I was so happy that some fantastic people came out to celebrate with me.
We went to Tug’s aunt’s last night for turkey dinner, and holy smokes was it good. I think I could eat turkey and stuffing and cranberries every day. In fact, I’ve decided I’m cooking a turkey next weekend and inviting the family over to do it all over again.
Princess was at her Dad’s for the weekend…and I missed her terribly. But I did get a sweet little happy birthday call from her this morning. She remembered! At the age of 11 I can’t ask for much more than that 🙂
In the spirit of being thankful, this post is going to be an open gratitude journal. A snippet about what I am thankful for this minute. Some obvious things, some material things. Just things in general that make my heart happy. (There is nothing wrong with material possessions making your heart happy BTW, despite what some people say. If they are the ONLY thing that make you happy…perhaps that’s where the problem lies).
I keep a gratitude journal, but I’ll be honest, I don’t write in it every day. Some weeks I’ll write in it twice a day, sometimes I’ll go a week without writing a stitch of anything. Doesn’t mean I’m not thankful, I guess that little bit of discipline it takes to form a habit in this case hasn’t quite kicked in yet. I’m still working on it.
What I do know for sure is that when I write down what I’m thankful for, it can shift my perspective a lot…especially if I’m having a less than ideal day. And sometimes you have those days that it’s actually hard to find something to be thankful for. Maybe PMS is at full swing, or someone really, really pushed every single one of your buttons (or maybe both, in which case I pray for that person that pushed the buttons). But really, when I force myself to find something….anything to be thankful for it can really change the whole feeling of the day and add a little brightness. Because there is always something to be thankful for!
A Few of my Favourite Things
*Note: None of these are sponsored. I just really love them.
- My Family – This goes without saying. Tug, Princess, and my extended family make my heart happy. I have wonderful people in my life who look out for me, love me, and vice versa that I wouldn’t trade for the world. Princess so far is on the right track at school and in life and is healthy and happy. I have a loving home and fantastic people that come and visit!
- My Friends – I have a few very close friends that have been in my life for close to 20 years. In fact almost my entire circle of friends are long term-ers. They are truly wonderful people. They all have different attributes that I admire greatly, and they ALL know how to have a good time!
- My Business – Going into business for myself 2 years ago was one of the best decisions I’ve made. I always knew it would happen, and glad it did when it did. I have great clients, and it’s always a new adventure and a huge learning experience.
- Scentsy – Ha! Who knew that these little pieces of wax would make me so happy? But really, someone gave me some Scentsy bars for my birthday and I squealed in delight. It’s kind of weird actually. But really, my Scentsy collection is growing by the day. My current favourite scents are Cozy Fireside, Hazelnut Latte and Welcome Home. I’m considering selling this stuff to support my habit.
- Animals – My animals bring great joy to my life. Including my “borrowed” animals (the horses that I ride, or the dogs that come for a visit). It’s never a dull moment with these little monsters around.
- Sorel Boots – Another addiction of mine is Sorel boots. I own 3 pairs and they are worth every penny. I owned my first pair when I was 14 and worked in a barn all winter. They are the warmest most comfiest boots ever, and now they are super stylish. They will also last forever. My personal fave styles are Joan of Arctic, Cate the Great, and Conquest Carly.
- Eric Church – Ok, I’m a bit of a country bumpkin, so I do like country music. And I LOVE Eric Church’s album Chief. I can’t stop playing it. While driving, running, getting ready to go out, or partying with friends it seems to always be on.
- Books – Having time to sit and read a great book is a blessing in a busy life. I love getting lost in a story even though I don’t get to very often. Some of my favourite books are She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb, A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, Fruit: A Novel About a Boy and his Nipples by Brian Francis.
I could probably go on forever, but i’ll stop here. What are your favourite things? What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?
Hope your Thanksgiving was blessed with things that make your heart happy. xo