At the beginning of 2018, I had set out on Goodreads to read 18 books. I read 17 completely, and two halves, so that’s 18, right?
Anyway, I wanted to share with you, assuming you also like to read, what I read, what the winners were and what I could have left behind. And I’m always curious to know what other people are reading, so link me into your Goodreads profile, or feel free to give me some book suggestions!
Out-Of-The-Park Books (IE: Yes, EVERYONE Should Read These)
- Daring Greatly – Brene Brown – I think Brene Brown’s books should be human mandatory reading. I embarrassingly didn’t really truly understand “shame” until I started reading her books and it truly has changed the way I think.
- Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment – Amir Levine – If you are a human being and leave the house and have relationships with other human beings, even if only platonic, you must read this book. It’s that important.
I Liked Them, Personally (IE: I Would Recommend Them)
- The Rewired Brain – Ski Chilton
- The Now Habit (re-read) – Neil Fiore
- Mind Hacking – Sir John Hargrave
- You Are a Badass – Jen Sincero
- Maximum Achievement – Brian Tracey
- Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus – John Grey
- On Turpentine Lane – Elinor Lipman
- The Law of Divine Compensation – Marianne Williamson
- Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself – Dr. Joe Dispenza
- Self Compassion – Kristin Neff
- A Woman’s Worth – (Re-read staple) – Marianne Williamson
- Journey of Souls – Michael Newton, PhD.
Wouldn’t Recommend – Not even going to link to it
- Unfuck Your Habitat – Rachel Hoffman – Nothing new or groundbreaking in this book. It felt like my mother nagging with a twist of fuck to make it edgy. Nah thanks.
- Family Matters – Rohinton Mistry – I really, really wanted to get into this book, because I love Rohinton Mistry, but it wasn’t the right time for me. I will definitely revisit.
- When The Body Says No, The Cost of Hidden Stress – Gabor Mate – Gabor Mate is amazing, but this book stressed me out, ha. I truly believe everything he wrote up until the point of me putting it down, but hearing about all the shit we’re susceptible to if we think certain ways was a downer to me and I needed to put it down and go live and not think about dying.
Books I Will Read in 2018
20 – in terms of books I will read this year, feels good to me. I only read 1 fiction book in 2017! That can definitely be improved. Any suggestions? I’m also in a bit of a Winston Churchill phase and my woo-woo side hasn’t left, and likely never will. Here is what I’ve come up with so far in terms of reads, feel free to give some recommendations, especially fiction:
- Winston and Clementine: The Personal Letters of the Churchills – Mary Soames
- The Untethered Soul – Michael A. Singer
- Evolution of Goddess – Emma Mildon
- Clementine: The Life of Mrs. Winston Churchill – Sonia Purnell
- Eat Dirt – Dr. Josh Axe
- Brain Maker – Dr. David Perlmutter
- Power vs. Force – David Hawkins
What’s on your list? Care to join me along in a 2018 reading challenge on Goodreads? I don’t care if your goal is to read 5 books, or 50, reading is good for the soul (and your brain, and your life). I’m here on Goodreads.
Books for Free
Also, if you don’t want to buy every single book, check out Hoopla, which is what I use, to borrow them digitally from your local library system. I love buying books, but I reserve that now for books I know I love, or one’s I’m not entirely sure of just yet.
In the meantime, happy reading!